Berg, Debele, DeSmidt & Rabuse, P.A.
Call us today 888-340-9311
Minnesota's Premier
Family Law Firm
Practice Areas

What happens to a custody agreement when a parent moves?

Life comes at you very fast. One day you are married with a child, and the next your divorce is finalized and a joint custody agreement is in place. Given how life works, there is no way that anyone could predict the future. We don't know what tomorrow will bring. So when you agree to a child custody arrangement, it isn't as if the arrangement will stay in place unchanged for years and years. Life will happen, and the agreement will need to be updated and altered frequently.

Say, for example, a parent gets a new job in a new state. Or what if a medical emergency forces a parent to move far away from the city they -- and their child and ex-spouse -- live in? These situations require the spouses involved to be considerate of each other and to address the issue in a timely and effective way.

For the spouse that is moving, you need to make sure that you give your former husband/wife advance notice about the move. Inform them about where you are going and why, and make sure they have enough time to prepare for it.

Otherwise, you could be in for a dispute with your former spouse, leading to a legal challenge of your move. Whether your move is challenged or you are just trying to go about the move properly, you need experienced legal representation by your side to help you with your situation. At Walling Berg & Debele, we can assist those who are dealing with a change to their child custody agreement due to a spouse moving.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • iaml
  • AAAA - American Academy of Adoption Attorneys
  • AAARTA - Fellow of the American Academy of Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys
  • American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers AAML
  • Rated by Super Lawyers