Interstate and International Laws

Laws that may affect interstate or international family law matters include:

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)

The UCCJEA is a law that governs both interstate and international child custody. Its purpose is to determine in which state or country (jurisdiction) a child custody proceeding will take place. A state must consider the factors set forth in the UCCJEA in deciding whether it or another state has jurisdiction.

Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)

The UIFSA is a law meant to provide ease in enforcing and collecting both child and spousal support (alimony) across state and international borders. While enforcing and collecting support is made easier by the UIFSA, issues often arise in the context of an interstate or international family law proceeding that requires specialized knowledge of this law.

Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA)

The PKPA is a federal law that provides requirements for how states must enforce interstate child custody determinations. It prohibits a state from taking jurisdiction of a child custody proceeding that was commenced while another child custody proceeding involving the same children and parents is pending in another state.

Hague Convention On The Civil Aspects Of International Child Abduction (Hague Convention)

The Hague Convention is a treaty the United States has entered into with several other countries. When a family is involved in an international child custody dispute, the Hague Convention will apply if both countries are parties to the treaty. The Hague Convention was designed to protect children from being wrongfully removed across international borders by providing an international procedure for the children's prompt return to their country of "habitual residence."

The Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect Of Inter-Country Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention)

The Hague Adoption Convention is an international agreement that applies to all adoptions between the United States and other countries that have joined this agreement.

Contact Berg, Debele, DeSmidt & Rabuse, P.A.

To learn how we can help you with your interstate and international family law issues, contact us today to schedule a consultation.